2013 Orangutan and River Jungle Tour with Gary Shapiro
Come and experience the intimacy of orangutans and the jungle the way they should be experienced and make a personal difference by contributing to organizations helping to save the red ape from extinction. This is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure you can have nowhere else in the world, hosted by Dr Gary Shapiro, a scientist and orangutan conservationist. Under the auspices of the Australian-based Orangutan Odysseys, raising funds for The Orangutan Project and the Orang Utan Republik Foundation, you will be guided upriver in a small, exclusive expedition hosted by a man who know orangutans and this location like few others in the world.
For more information and to register, click here. Read below for ways to help.
Tour sizes are limited to 10-12 people. This tour is guaranteed to go with the people who have already registered.
Joining the tour so far are:
Dr. Gary Shapiro, tour host and president of Orang Utan Republik Foundation. Gary has been involved with the study area for 35 years, knows the river well (he studied it in 1986) and many of the orangutans personally. He has hosted tours to Tanjung Puting National Park numerous times for family, friends, and last year, for Orangutan Odysseys.
Peter Miller, expedition manager. Peter has been passionate about orangutans since his first visit to Borneo nearly 20 years ago. The Managing Director of No Roads Expeditions and a father of four, Peter helped establish Orangutan Odysseys so that the jungle and its beautiful creatures will survive for his children and grandchildren. "I firmly believe that tourism will play a vital part in protecting the ecosystem of the orangutan. Responsible tourism will add value and preserve both the environmental and social aspects of an area.”
Linda Phillips , Janice Keller, Gloria Lambert, Cheryl Parrish, Jesse Schmidt, Sophia Josephine Schmidt, Tani Demain
Help the Participants
Once again, if you would like to join Gary, Linda, Janice, Gloria, Cheryl, Jesse, Sophia, and Tani, click here. If you cannot join but would like to help our tour guests to raise the required donated funds ($1,000 minimal) to go on the trip, you can participate in a meaningful way. We have set up special Paypal buttons for those tour guests who want your sponsorship. If you would like to sponsor an event, conduct an activity (e.g., garage or bake sale), sponsor part of their journey, or just give a donation in their name, go to the links below and click on the person you would like to help. Funds donated will go towards the tour guest's required contribution to the Orang Utan Republik Foundation AND are tax-deductible.
- January 1, 2017 - Orphaned Orangutan, Lana, finds his Freedom in the Forests of East Kalimantan
- September 30, 2016 - Third Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Benefit a Success
- August 25, 2016 - The Orangutan Project and Orang Utan Republik Foundation Unite!
- August 17, 2016 - International Orangutan Day - August 19th Each Year
- July 11, 2016 - Bornean orangutan declared ‘critically endangered’ as forests shrink
- May 3, 2016 - Unique Orangutan Scholarship Program Reaches Major Milestone
- February 29, 2016 - ‘Cocktail’ orang-utans leave researchers shaken and stirred
- January 17, 2016 - 2016- OURF Providing an Avenue for Further Involvement in Saving Orangutans
- November 2, 2015 - Orangutan Caring Week – 8-15 November 2015
- July 26, 2015 - 2nd Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Fundraiser