Jesse's Fundraising Page
Project Name: Ecotour Fundraiser
About Jesse: Jesse is 14 years old who speaks English and a bit of Spanish. Her interests and hobbies include traveling, reading, photography, fashion, running track, and playing violin. Since she has already visited all 7 continents, her dream is now to travel to the moon. To learn more about Jess's 14-month journey of education and adventure, read her blog at: http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/oneluckygirl/1/tpod.html
Why am I doing this?:
The orangutan’s rainforest habitat is disappearing at an unprecedented rate. 80% of the orangutan’s rain forests has been decimated in the past 20 years. Much of what remains is degraded by drought, forest fires and illegal logging. This destruction is also inflicting a massive amount of suffering on a species that is 97% genetically identical to humans, intelligent as a 5 to 6 year old child and is self-aware. Tragically, extinction in the wild is likely for both Sumatran and Bornean orangutans if we do not take immediate action.
The Orangutan Project (TOP) and the Orang Utan Republik Foundation (OURF) aims to ensure the survival of orangutans in the wild within available populations and their welfare. This is done by conducting TOP’s and OURF's own work and assisting other accredited conservation projects according to the most effective outcomes for the species.
The organisations provides technical and financial assistance directly to conservation education projects (OURF) and orangutan rescue and rehabilitation centres (TOP). This includes much needed resources for the day-to-day care needs, the reintroduction of orphaned orangutans and the locating and securing of release sites. Presently there are over 2,000 orphaned orangutans living in care centres in Borneo and Sumatra. But this work can only continue if we have your help...
I'm donating one month of my time to help the Orang Utan Republik Foundation and am trying to help raise donations as well. Please help by contributing.
Want to help Jesse? Here is how you can help Jesse fundraise the required donation to the Orang Utan Republik Foundation. Click on the Paypal button and enter the amount you would like to contribute. Donations on behalf of Jesse to the Foundation are tax-deductible.
- January 1, 2017 - Orphaned Orangutan, Lana, finds his Freedom in the Forests of East Kalimantan
- September 30, 2016 - Third Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Benefit a Success
- August 25, 2016 - The Orangutan Project and Orang Utan Republik Foundation Unite!
- August 17, 2016 - International Orangutan Day - August 19th Each Year
- July 11, 2016 - Bornean orangutan declared ‘critically endangered’ as forests shrink
- May 3, 2016 - Unique Orangutan Scholarship Program Reaches Major Milestone
- February 29, 2016 - ‘Cocktail’ orang-utans leave researchers shaken and stirred
- January 17, 2016 - 2016- OURF Providing an Avenue for Further Involvement in Saving Orangutans
- November 2, 2015 - Orangutan Caring Week – 8-15 November 2015
- July 26, 2015 - 2nd Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Fundraiser