Orphaned Orangutan, Lana, finds his Freedom in the Forests of East Kalimantan
Santa Monica, CA - 31 December 2016 - Orang Utan Republik Foundation. Orang Utan Republik Foundation President Dr. Gary Shapiro representing The Orangutan Project (TOP), joined staff from the Center for Orangutan Protection (COP) and other organizations on 10 December 2016, in the translocation of a wild juvenile male orangutan to a section of the Lesan River Protected Forest, within the Berau District of East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
The orangutan, named Lana (“explorer” in Indonesian), was orphaned only weeks earlier at a local palm oil plantation. Lana was first held at a local forestry office facility then brought to the COP rehabilitation center while the COP team was able to gain approval and seek a site for his release. The day long event to release Lana involved placing him into a transport cage, driving him to the Lesan Dayak village in the “Ape Defender” (a truck provided by The Orangutan Project), then upriver by boat, and finally carried a couple kilometers inland to the final release area. Over thirty individuals from various government and nongovernment offices, the Dayak village and local companies participated in the translocation.
- September 30, 2016 - Third Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Benefit a Success
- August 25, 2016 - The Orangutan Project and Orang Utan Republik Foundation Unite!
- August 17, 2016 - International Orangutan Day - August 19th Each Year
- July 11, 2016 - Bornean orangutan declared ‘critically endangered’ as forests shrink
- May 3, 2016 - Unique Orangutan Scholarship Program Reaches Major Milestone
- February 29, 2016 - ‘Cocktail’ orang-utans leave researchers shaken and stirred
- January 17, 2016 - 2016- OURF Providing an Avenue for Further Involvement in Saving Orangutans
- November 2, 2015 - Orangutan Caring Week – 8-15 November 2015
- July 26, 2015 - 2nd Annual Pongo Environmental Awards and Fundraiser
- June 9, 2015 - 2015 LP Jenkins Fellowship Awarded for Study on the Conservation Benefit of RSPO Complaint Process